Monday, November 21, 2005

How safe are you?

Hi...would like to share a nothing-to-feel-good-about incident that happened on the universally acclaimed Hosur Road ( for all the wrong reasons though) while I was returning home from Office a couple of days ago.......
I was in one of the Infosys(Infy) buses and I noticed there was an Infy bus right in front of us..All of a sudden our bus halted....I also noticed a group of people rushing from all sides towards the bus in front of us...it really sounded unusually noisy....waking a lot of snoring Software Engineers in my bus, I looked out through the window and could see the driver of the Infy bus in front of us ...jump out of his seat...and run across the road to the opposite side...and my instincts told me...something was really not right ....
As we went closer to the bus, I could see all the employees rushing out of the single narrow door that the bus had.....Could hear people on the road shouting " Accidentuu...Aa yamman melle hatusbutta le, Begaa Ambulancege phone maadro .." which meant "Its an Accident,a lady has been run over by the bus...Call the Ambulance fast"..... I prayed that, it wouldn't be too serious...but the unfortunate happened..could hear something more now...I heard one in the crowd say, the lady was killed instantly....and then the unexpected happened....one of them started flinging stones at the bus...and so did all of them the next second....luckily all the employees in the bus had already got off the bus and the mob went crazy...the bus had suffered a dozen hits in less than a minute...from all sides...Our driver realised that the incident was taking a life of its own....our driver tried to sneak away from the mob...but, it was too late..the mob quickly realised that our bus was also an Infy bus...and the next second, the windscreen of our bus shattered hard...into a million pieces...the next thing I know is that all of us closed all the windows and lay on the floor of the bus....waiting for the situation to cool..so that we could get off the bus....
Finally...we managed to open the door and dash out of the door...All of us managed to escape unhurt.....Was happy to make it out of the bus in one piece..... I caught another bus and made it home safely..and there was one thought that kept my mind occupied...What if the mob had set the bus ablaze? What if?....the incident would have had a nasty end..... Just pray that this doesnt happen to anyone.....

No comments: